Co-living vs. PG: What is the difference?
The main difference between PGs (paying guests) and coliving is that PGs are managed by individuals, while coliving is run by businesses. Both offer furnished living spaces, but coliving offers more due to its corporate structure. It is a combination of PGs, hostels, hotels, traditional leases, and Airbnb’s, giving the best of all these options. Coliving provides residents with fully furnished, cost-effective accommodation in a community of pre-screened individuals with similar interests.
What is paying guest accommodation (PG)?
If you’re looking for a rental experience that offers the convenience of Airbnb and the stability of a traditional agreement, then paying guest accommodation is the perfect option. It’s ideal for students who don’t have access to dorms or professionals who are moving temporarily for work, as you’re simply renting a room within a larger shared unit and the owner is responsible for paying the bills. You don’t need to manage anything besides your monthly fee, and you don’t have to worry about handling maintenance or general apartment responsibilities. This type of arrangement provides the flexibility of Airbnb without the need to commit to a full-scale lease.
- People who are looking to save money on rent but don’t want to live alone can benefit from renting an apartment-style space.
- This type of living arrangement provides access to a local network of people who can provide guidance on things to do or places to go in the area.
- Additionally, the security of the space is increased due to the limited number of people living there, however, it is important to trust the owner of the space before renting.
- You must carefully evaluate each accommodation to make sure it meets the advertised standards of amenities, safety, and security.
- There is limited flexibility as you must commit to a long-term lease. Additionally, since the accommodation is managed by individuals rather than a large-scale operation
- There may be limited perks and you may have to take care of most things yourself, depending on who you are staying with.
Which option is best for you?
When deciding on the best option for your stay, it is important to consider your needs and goals. Coliving spaces are ideal for those looking for a productive workspace and a sense of community, as they often come with a coworking area and host many social gatherings each month. On the other hand, PGs are better suited for those who already have a community at work or school and only need a place to sleep. Although PGs are more like a traditional lease with roommates, they are still affordable.
If you are looking for a coliving space, atnest.in is India’s verified coliving platform. We make it easy for you to search for your ideal coliving space in the city of your dreams. You can filter by cost, location, amenities, perks, and more.